About the Anaemia Community
The Anaemia Community (previously known as the Anaemia Manifesto) was launched in parliament in June 2016.
The Anaemia Community Steering Committee is a group of passionate volunteers who advocate for people with iron deficiency or iron deficiency anaemia consisting of patients, patient groups, charities and healthcare professionals working alongside industry partners.
1. Community Driven
The Anaemia Communities aims and objectives are driven by its community. The community are all those affected by Anaemia from patients through to policymakers. We aggregate the need of all stakeholders and advocate for those working to ensure better treatments and care.
2. Define overarching best practice principles
- Achieve consensus on key principles for diagnosis and management of iron deficiency anaemia in England
- Ensure specific practice guidelines for iron deficiency anaemia are developed by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE)
3. Tailor services locally
- Individual NHS trusts and CCGs need to review local practice and identify areas for improvement
- Identify a local ‘iron deficiency anaemia champion’ within every acute care hospital
- Develop clearly understandable local care pathways for iron deficiency anaemia, including referral criteria for primary care (where required)
- Develop a Best Practice Tariff for iron deficiency anaemia management that requires local service improvements
4. Develop the evidence base
- Conduct long-term iron deficiency anaemia treatment trials focused on major mortality and morbidity endpoints
- Perform health economics analysis on the cost- effectiveness of improving iron deficiency anaemia management
5. Educate healthcare professionals and patients
- Develop learning packages and material for healthcare professionals (in primary and secondary care) who manage patients with, or at risk of developing iron deficiency anaemia
- Create patient education materials to empower people with, or at risk of developing, iron deficiency anaemia so that they are more informed
6. Define and measure success
- Develop a dashboard with appropriate metrics to measure performance in iron deficiency care
- Include some or all of these metrics within formal assessment and remuneration mechanisms for care delivery in England (e.g. NICE Quality Standards; Quality and Outcomes Framework [QO
Since the launch we have been working with industry partners to understand and articulate the impact anaemia has on patients, the NHS and the economy as a whole.
Supported by an unrestricted grant from Pharmacosmos
Supported by an unrestricted grant from Vifor Pharma UK
Supports the Anaemia Community through nonpecuniary support
Follow the movement
Error: The account for anaemiacommunity needs to be reconnected.
Due to recent Instagram platform changes this Instagram account needs to be reconnected in order to continue updating. Reconnect on plugin Settings page
Error: No posts found.
Make sure this account has posts available on instagram.com.